distinguished talent visas
Distinguished talent visas are the route to Australian Migration for the exceptionally talented. The applicants will be internationally recognized in their profession, in academia, entertainment, the arts, sport or the sciences. In some circumstances a combination of these.
what this visa lets you do
the Distinguished Talent Visas is a permanent residence visa. It allows you and your family to
study and in Australia
You will be require a nomination in order to apply. The person (or organisation) nominating you must
MORE INFORMATION BELOW
DISTINGUISHED TALENT VISA (124 & 858)
The Distinguished Talent visa (subclass124 & 858) lets you live permanently in Australia if you have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in:
- a profession
- a sport
- the arts
- academia and research.
This is a visa that can be suitable a wide range of people from the sport, entertainment and creative industries. In the past applicants have included musicians, designers, dancers, sports coaches and administrators, jockeys, artists, philanthropists, doctors, authors, scientists, IT gurus, chefs, film makers, actors, and many many more.
This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you (and any member of your family unit granted):
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia
- enroll in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
- sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia)
The Department of Immigration indicates a general time frame for processing of Distinguished Talent Visas. Our recommendation is to allow 8 weeks+ once we lodge the application. Please note that we have had some applications in processing with the department for 12 months. Conversely some grants have recently come though within a matter of weeks.
If you apply for this Australian talent visa while you are in Australia, we would also apply for a Bridging Visa allowing you to stay while the visa is being processed. If you need to leave the country over this period it is possible but only if you have the correct Bridging Visa.
Costs & Fees
As a guide, for preporation, collation of evidence and drafting the extensive submissions and lodgement of the formal application, allow for between $7000.00 and $15,000.00 plus the government fees. The overall cost will depend on your application (and particularly if there are family members under the same application). This visa attracts one of the highest government fees as is the case with permanent residency visas. Quite a lot of work and material is required in order for have correct submissions to be put forward. The accessability of supporting material relating to reputation is a key factor in the overall cost.
The is also the cost for potential medical examinations and international police reports if they are required by the department (which is far more likely than not)
CRITERIA AND EVIDENCE
Briefly these are the requirements and initial evidence:
- You have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a profession, a sport, the arts, or academia and research
- You are still prominent in the area
- You would be an asset to the Australian community
- have no difficulty getting employment, or in becoming established independently in your field in Australia
- You are nominated by an eligible person or organisation
- You meet health and character requirements.
The recognised record and outstanding achievement depends upon your field of expertise. Each application is assessed according to its own particulars.
Have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in a profession, a sport, the arts, or academia and research
You need to demonstrate extraordinary and remarkable abilities, be superior to others in your field and have a record of sustained achievement that is unlikely to diminish in the future.
Your achievements need to be acclaimed as exceptional in any country where the relevant field is practised. The field would also need to have recognition and acceptance in Australia as well as international standing.
You must demonstrate current prominence in your field.
- Relevant qualifications and awards, including those received internationally.
- Advice from government, professional, scientific, cultural, sporting or other relevant bodies in Australia.
- A statement by the nominator supporting your record of achievement.
- If you are younger than 18 or older than 55 years of age: evidence that you would be of exceptional benefit to the Australian community.
The prominence must be maintained.
You need to show that you would be of benefit to the Australian community, economically, socially or culturally, or by raising Australia's sporting, artistic or academic standing internationally. This means your settlement would contribute to the nation as a whole - not just a local community.
You must demonstrate why you would have no difficulty in obtaining employment, or how you expect to support yourself, in Australia within your area of achievement. Income from employment which is not related to the area of achievement cannot satisfy the requirements of the visa, even if this only comprises part of your overall income.
Nominated by an eligible person or organisation
You must be nominated by an eligible person or organisation with a national reputation in your field. They must also be highly regarded throughout Australia. A reputation confined to one state or region would not be considered national.
An eligible person or organisation can include:
- an Australian peak body or organisation,
- an Australian citizen,
- an Australian permanent resident, or
- an eligible New Zealand citizen.
A Nominator is not the same as a sponsor. It is a nomination, not sponsorship with this specialist visa.
Heath requirements are required to be met and you will likely need to submit for certain health examinations and tests.
As with all visas character is important and is generally satisfied by international police checks if requested.
The Identify documents for applicant and any family members are required to be certified which we can arrange whether you are applying in Australia or from overseas.
Given the nature of this visa this application requires a large amount of supporting documents. These also need to be certified and this visa still requires a physical delivery to the Department.